Tuesday, May 11, 2010

JULIAN ROUAS PARIS


Quatsch Comedy Club 2 - Live & Unzensiert by 3min.de







Guide to Performing at an Open-Mic Comedy Night - I guess I have a secret to confess, I've always wanted to do stand up comedy. I've never really pursued it to the point of performing on stage though. I've written my act and practiced it many times but I'm probably too chicken to actually call a comedy club and ask about their open-mic night. I play guitar too but I've never participated in an audience jam either, I guess I'm the candid person who'll wish they would have challenged themselves a little more. So when this call for content popped up I had to take it, primarily because I think that there are others out there like me, a wallflower but choking on weeds of self-doubt.

I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico for three months, and during that time I passed Laffs Comedy Club so many times I almost pulled into the parking lot just to say, "I tried, but they were closed." So now I'm here, writing an article about how to perform at an open-mic comedy club, its part research and Part 1 of what might become. I called Laffs Comedy Club, and they were open, I almost started sweating, and I spoke with someone about this article, they directed me to e-mail Mr. Laff. I smirked at the non-joke.

After I e-mailed Mr. Laff, he returned with a reply to answer my questions. Below are some tips for amateur comedians who want to perform at an open-mic event.

First and the most important thing is that you do not need any experience, just guts and a whole lot more guts. You're encouraged to promote your show, call, and e-mail, make flyers and do everything you can to get people to come to your show. Have your friends and family attend, the more the better. Laffs doesn't charge for Wednesday night open-mic but they would sure like people there to cheer you on.

What about the rules for performing. No Rated-X stuff, profanity, vulgarity, you know, the stuff that people notice, Laffs doesn't promote such comedy, plus if you want to move from Wednesday night to possibly Friday night, you'll abide by the rules. Try not to make your debut your last show ever. "I was here all week, but now I'm here for another hour."

You'll need to take a class to help you perform better, watch and learn from other comedians on Wednesday night. Also, its good to gather material that's fresh, don't steal from other comics, you won't get very far. Its best to be a student of the game, it's a lot harder than it looks, primarily because you've been watching professionals and they make it look easy.

Here's another tip, time yourself. You're going to be up there for 4-6 hours, well, it will feel like that, but 4-6 minutes of solid time. 5 minutes is a good guide. Practice getting your material down to a certain time, you're not running for political office, the teleprompter has no place in comedy.

Dress code is another important but overlooked tip in performing on an open-mic night. Don't wear something that you wouldn't wear on a first date, haven't been on a first date in a while, then check what you've been wearing, there's a reason.

You must play by the rules, no cussing, no off-color jokes or your mic could be cut off. Every comic on stage will have a light to tell them that they have 30 seconds left, if its starts to flicker, that's not Morse Code, it means get off the stage. Anybody can tell a dirty joke, be more creative than that. You'll have comedians waiting in the wings to perform too. Remember you're not the headliner yet.

There are also rules of etiquette to follow like being nice to the host. They are the person that introduces you and you make reference to them. It might seem like a lot of filler in between comedians but think of it as a radio show, dead air is deafening. Never tick off your fellow comedians, this goes without saying, you might be hazed in the laughternity.

Stick around after your set, support the comedians that are performing after you, the rule is wait for the three after you, its all about courtesy. Show it and you'll be extended it.

If you are lucky enough and gutsy enough to cover all those vacuums so they don't become volcanoes then you my funny friend just might have what it takes to perform at an open-mic night. Good night, and thanks for coming.






I’m pretty sure capitulations, like the way this fella is thinking about don’t happen near the beginning of a bear market, nor after a few days of selling after more than a year of basically an up market. No, any selling climax, or capitulation, occurs after months and months of relentless selling.


Oh…and chewy the lab, your sale would depend on if you had a stop market or a stop limit order. A stop market order would have gone to market as your specified price was triggered. Where that order was eventually filled is unknowable, but in yesterdays action, it would have more than likely be below your triggered price. If you had a stop limit order, that would have resulted in you having an asking price for your shares. Under the limit scenario, prices may have been moving down so swiftly, that your sell order would be higher than current prices, and you would still be left holding them.







This weekend, the Times dissected the "morning-news-romcom-verite" that is MSNBC's Morning Joe, thanks to the banter-filled dynamic between hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski. Proving just how convincing a romantic comedy the program really is, reigning rom-com auteur Nora Ephron is a fan. “For me it’s not so much about the politics," she told the Times. "I tend to watch almost anything like this in terms of: is this romantic comedy? And it is … I’m very busy thinking about them as a temporary couple on the air … The conversation is like some kind of dream sequence at a bar, only you can have a part in it, and it’s in the morning.” Excellent tip for anyone who would like to watch Broadcast News all day, every day, but feels guilty not staying on top of current events. [NYT via NYO]





Hire a comedian
Hire a corporate comedian





Pixodeo Paul Mitchell Julian Rouas Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment